Saturday, May 14, 2011

Champions!!!

My first Premier League game was Manchester United at Blackburn, and it was incredible. The atmosphere was ridiculous because Man U needed a point to clinch their record 19th League title, and Blackburn needed a win to help them keep from getting relegated to a lower division at the end of the season. You know a game is going to be intense when your coach tells you, “we’re sitting with the Blackburn fans. That means don’t wear anything with too much red in it, and don’t openly cheer for Man U. The Blackburn and Man U fans will be separated by rows of police (which they were) so don’t say anything stupid.” Man U fans came out in storm, and the entire quarter of the stadium that held them began singing at kick off, and didn’t shut up until well after we left and Man U held the trophy after a 1-1 tie. I got Wayne Rooney’s goal on video, and it was even more amazing in person.
            I also got my first taste of legit British stadium food! I walked up to the concession stand and said to the guy, “I’ve never been here before, and I know I’m gonna sound like such an American right now, but what do you recommend that I get?” Without skipping a beat, everyone behind the counter said I needed a meat and potato pie! So that’s what I got, and they were right, it was delicious and I hereby declare that they should be sold at every sporting event in the U.S.! I’ll admit, I had to ask one of our British coaches how to eat it because I wasn’t sure if it was finger food or fork food (turns out you eat it like a hot dog). But it just added perfectly to whole English/Soccer environment.
            Finally, we got back to the cottages and it was my house’s turn to make dinner. Apparently, cooking a southwestern egg scramble for 20 people is a lot harder and more time consuming than it seems. I cooked up the sausages and eventually was in charge of cooking the actual eggs and mixing them together on the skillet. Even though it took forever and I ended up covered in egg yolk and grease, everyone said it was delicious and I thought it tasted pretty good myself! Cleaning it up took almost as long as making it, but all’s well that ends well. It gave me a new appreciation for my mommy! Haha Game day versus the Birmingham Women tomorrow. It’s going to be a hard battle but we’re up for it.

My name is Amy Swearer, and POTS stole my life. I'm taking it back (In England!).

No comments:

Post a Comment