Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Blessings


This life is hard. There’s no way around it. Today, I’m asking everyone reading this blog to say a prayer for a girl named Meghan Herndon and Meghan’s family. You don’t know her. Heck, I don’t even “know” her. But her story puts into perspective just how blessed we are, and just how precious life is – even when life is hard. The first and only time I ever saw Meghan, a senior from Southeast Missouri State University, was when she was playing on the field as my opponent two weeks ago. The next day, she was riding her scooter to work when she was t-boned by a pickup truck. She’s been in a coma since then, and doctors have told the family that the injuries to her brain are “devastating.” 

I’m the first to admit that in many ways, this tragedy has nothing to do with me. I never really met Meghan – the only time I saw her, my team was trying to destroy her team. I have no reason to care, and yet I’ve found myself following her CaringBridge updates online and praying for her. I can’t help it. It could have been my teammate. It could have been my sister. It could have been me. Yeah, I have POTS and it sucks. But I’m not in coma. My parents aren’t wondering if I’ll ever wake up. I get to tell my mom I love her and hug my dad. When the road seems unbearably long and the load unbearably heavy, we must not forget how truly blessed we are to have been given the gift of life. It’s true – this life is often painful, and we live in a world that is sinful and in a body that is broken.  But it is still a gift. And we rest in the promise that despite our unworthiness in the face of a holy God, what we have broken will once again be made perfect. There will be a day with no more tears, a day when you and I and Meghan will walk together, healed. Let us never forget the hope that we have.

My name is Amy Swearer, and POTS stole my life. I’m taking it back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment